Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sept 10: trek to Bilbao

The day started great with a very restful sleep, having awaken after 7am...when the German Shepard was put back on the chain. However, the day went downhill quickly from there. I forgo my walking polls so I had to do a couple extra km for that. Then it proceeded to rain most of the 27km to Bilbao. I was soaked, drenched despite my rain coat.  To add further insult to injury, I got lost because of the poor waymarking adding a couple more km to the journey.  As I approached Bilbao inside a rain cloud, the trail proceeded to climb 1000ft straight up Mt Alba before descending 1000ft sharply down into Bilbao. It would have been worth it for the view of Bilbao except I was walking in a rain cloud. About 2/3rds the way up I stopped exhausted, gazing out over a field watching a farmer tend his fruit tree. Some perigrina came up from behind looking all concerned like I was having a cardiac arrest. She asked " are you okay?!?" I responded "(Fucking) yes I am okay. I am exhausted!"

No comments:

Post a Comment