Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Dec 17: update

I awoke this morning wondering if this new hostal I found in town for $10 a night had mosquito nets. Mosquitos are a non-starter for me. So early this morning I start out to the new hostal in town. The guy at the front desk told me that there were no nets. But if I turn the AC on that it is too cold for the mosquito to come inside. That seemed ok IF it in fact works. Mosquitos seem to prefer my blood.  I saw a guy who seemed yo be an older surfer from Germany and asked him if he was having problems with the mosquitos.  He gave me so much attitude for asking the question,  that I came away thinking that this guy just represents a lot of the surfer assholes I have met. Montanita is filled with this attitude which I think is compounded by the fact of the Gringo Trail effect.  As I walked  outside I could here the marching band of protesters going through the town at 730 am when all the gringos are trying to sleep off their night of debauchery.  I heard that this happens on a regular basis. I wonder to myself why the hell I want to stay in this town. Yes, the price for the room is great. But what in fact am I saying "yes" to by staying here. I don't like the people and the energy there. To stay somewhere I owe it to myself to stay there because I am saying 'yes' to something.  I ended up walking to the edge of town where the protesters had gathered to see what I could see. They were definitely saying yes to something. At that point I got an email from LAN that my backpack had arrived in Guayaquil.  After confirming they were sure, I made up my mind tgst this was my decision point to get the f*! out of Montanita. 

When I arrived in Guayaquil Airport and in fact saw my bag, I was in disbelief. Finally!  Of course I had damage to a lot of things as if a 10ton elephant sat on the bag. My $200 ultraviolet water purification tool was crushed. My $300+ prescription sunglasses were crushed even though they were in a hard case. My $20 swim/diving goggles permanently broken.  But I am glad to have my backpack back!

I will spend the night in Guayaquil. Tomorrow morning I will travel to Cuenca to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment