Sunday, December 22, 2013

Dec 22: update

I am now officially 48 years lived!

I spent my birthday getting on local busses and traveling to remote villages. Basically I was traveling all over the Andes seeing how the locals live.  I didn't see one gringo.  But the locals definitely noticed me.

I went to Gualaceo, Chordeleg, and then Sig Sig which means river reed. That is the same reed all the Equadoran hats are made. I saw lots of older women wearing their colorful garments and traditional hats.

I walked through the towns which had their Sunday open market going on. There was the jewelry of Chordeleg and fruits/veggies of Sig Sig. It was fun being in the bus and switching on Google Maps only to realize that Google doesn't have the road in their app. 

One of the amazing things of Ecuador is the cost of living.  It is about half the cost of the average US place.  Plus gas is $1.30 a gallon or a $1 a gallon for diesel.  The reason is Venezuela oil. Ecuador has a cozy relationship. An American can live like an average American on  $1200 a month. This includes everything.  So no wonder it is a target destination.

Tomorrow is my first day of spanish school.  I am looking forward to it!

1 comment: