Friday, August 30, 2013

6am wake up in Logorno

As I get ready to head off for another day, I can hear the streets bustling with Spaniards as they party through the weekend night. It will be kind of surreal to walk out of my sleeping place into a bunch of festive Spaniards in a few minutes, on my way to a 20 to 30 km day. At least that is the distance our guide book says, 31km.

My theory on the guide book distances suggested is that they are trying to cram 500 miles into a 'manageable' 30 days. A number of Europeans and a lot of Spaniards use their vacation time to do the Camino. I see Spaniards out on the trail with their family. Plus Europeans get a fair amount of vacation time which makes is possible to theoretically squeeze a vacation and 500 miles together. Mostly Spaniards just do week long sections over a number of years.
I have come across a number of people who only give themselves 10 or 30 days for example and try to do as many miles as possible in that time. There is no real reason to follow the guide book miles as generally there are plenty of places to stay in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment