Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May 21: update

In windy, coldness, driving rain and darkness, I did another 28km today. But I think the kms are catching up on me. As almost a truism about walking, the first thing that seems to go are the feet, blisters. Part of my issue is I have been trying to keep up with other walkers paces which all seem to be faster than mine.

As I was getting toward the end of the 28km today, walking in driving rain, the hostal van pulled up behind me full of pilgrims and offered me a lift along with everyone else. Out of part stubborness and part wanting to 'stick it' to the French pilgrims inside, I told the hostal driver 'thanks but I am a pilgrim. Pilgrims don't take car rides.' Of course, I was then hit with a deluge of rain which made me look completely idiotic. I must say though that not taking motorized transport is the one thing I am happy about on these caminos as it maintains the purity of the experience for me.

I am 100km+ away from Salamanca, a major city. I would prefer making it to there before giving my feet a few days of rest. A big reason is there are usually more food options than Spanish food which I really find disgusting. Another reason is I would have some sights to visit.

It is too bad I trekked 35km yesterday and didn't get anywhere! It was a good life learning experience. Instead of trying to push a situation that could have been miserable by hoping to find a path to our designation, I advocated to our group of four we backtrack to our last reliable "fleche" sign. After we did that, I told them that I was going back to the last town to sleep and try again tomorrow. I didn't have a 55km day in me especially with the weather. They agreed.

My strategy is to do another 21km tomorrow. Unfortunately it is suppose to continue to be stormy. But that's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment