Monday, January 6, 2014

Jan 5-6: update

I am glad I did the trip to Saraguro.  Taking the bus across the Andes and it's 12,000 ft elevation with a winding two lane road, basically ascending and descending for three hours is an adventure.  Then add the crazy bus culture here where drivers pass on blind corners going up hill with no power and expecting oncoming drivers to ride the shoulder to avoid a head on collision.  All I can do is accept my fate if in fact my time is at hand.

I wanted to comment on the OSU hat experience.  It captures well a challenging aspect of being here.  I approached a vendor wearing it at the Sunday market in Saraguro.  I asked her if I could take a photo so my friends back home in the US could see 'our' college represented in Ecuador.  #1 The vendor's response was no photos of her. People really hate their photos taken here. Understandably I probably would too. #2 Another vendor heard me say "US" and so he remarked "oooh,  the USA." There seems to be some kind of resentment or jealousy here about America. I suspect that because I see a number of shirts in Ecuador that are pro USA, definitely more so than in the USA itself. Plus a number of the people seem to live in economically challenging situation.  I would imagine I could be sensitive as well given the contrast to lives represented on TV of life in America.

The family I stayed with were great. There was a challenge around the language as my Spanish is not so good.  But we managed. I really got a strong sense of being on an American Indian reservation (but much nicer). Aside from the physical similarities,  the people seem to struggle constantly to maintain a sense of community and cultural identity. That said many carried a strong sense of shared humanity as I was received fairly well. At the same time I was observed with a sense of curiosity. Outsiders don't intermarry or live in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment